Thursday, June 30, 2011

Striking out on my own

WOD – for time:
  • run 800m
  • 200 double unders
  • run 800m
My time- ~18:10

I found this WOD by simply typing in run + double unders into Google search. This was the first return. The Main site WOD was 5x3 Deadlifts, and I've "vowed" to stay away from heavy lifting until 1.) my hip/back heals 2.) I get my food intake figured out, so that I can 3.) Get back to old strength levels. 

My time is an approximate. I didn't push start on the Stop Watch, so when I returned from my 800m, I started the clock :( My first run, I didn't stop and my pace was good. So I approximated a 5:20 800m. The Double Unders were tough. The problem is that when my rope stops, I get upset and I get in my head. It's all fuckin' mental, like all WODs. It took 6:57 to complete all 200 DUs, which seems really long to me. I went on my second 800m and I knew right away that my pace was considerably slower. I took this moment to concentrate on my breathing. I had just read the breathing series on the CF Southbay blog. Here is an excerpt that I tried to apply to my last 800m run:

Running is one of the few things that allows you to operate almost entirely in the aerobic domain while still going hard.  However, if your breathing isn’t correct, you will quickly transition into anaerobic (non-oxygen using) systems, start to build up lactic acid (what causes that burning feeling), and have to slow down.  One of the best ways to avoid going anaerobic too soon is to make sure you are breathing enough.  While there are lots of suggested breathing techniques out there, the simplest follow your feet.  3-2 works for me (breathe in for 3 steps, and out for 2 steps), although 3-3 and 2-2 also work.  You will know you have gone into a sprint mode (anaerobic, not sustainable, only a short period of time) when your breathing changes to a 2-1 count.  So, by trying to maintain a 3-2 (or 3-3 or 2-2) breathing scheme when you run, you will be able to run harder, longer, and faster while needing as little recovery as possible.

I was really gassed from the DUs going into my run, so I knew I had to get my breathing in line if I was going to make sure that I don't stop to walk at all... I was too tired to get my head in order to count my steps, but I knew I had to slow and deepen my breath, which is what I did. It totally helped. Also, it helped my panicky feeling that I get when I'm running tired. 

Getting back to the box, the clock read 12:50, which means my last 800 took 5:50 seconds. made sense for the pace I was keeping. I was cooked. I liked it. 

It's encouraging to know that I have improved my endurance. The half Marathon is in my sights for January. 

No comments:

Post a Comment