Friday, December 10, 2010

Filthy Fifty

For time:

50 Box jump, 24 inch box

50 Jumping pull-ups

50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood/.75 pood

Walking Lunge, 50 steps

50 Knees to elbows

50 Push press, 45 pounds/35#s

50 Back extensions

50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball/14#s

50 Burpees

50 Double unders

I did the Filthy Fifty in April.  Not sure if I'm happy that I pretty much clocked the same time. A few differences: 
1.) I used one of the black boxes for my BJs, which is just over 19". I realize now that the box I used in April was just 16" no 18"- it was the pink box (14") + 35# plate. 
2.)  I did RX'd ladies weight of 35#s for the push press; in April I did 30#s. 
3.) I actually did Double unders; prior I had done 200 singles.

So I did get stronger/fitter in the past 8 months. But for some reason I'm not happy with my performance. I really wanted to get under 40 mins. My Waterloo was the Double Unders. I finished the burpees at 38 mins. I figured if I could string together 10 DUs at time I could potentially hit the 40 min mark or maybe just a few seconds over. I took 10 seconds to take several deep breaths and turned the rope... I was gassed, I couldn't turn my wrists fast enough or make my body rigid enough to jump in a smooth pace. I took me over 8 mins to accomplish 50 DUs. I was pretty much doing one or two at a time, then the rope would get caught in my feet. It was only when I was at rep 46 that I wanted to finish so bad that I finally strung together the last 4.

The box jumps went great. Today was only my 2nd WOD for me to use that box height. Every jump felt deliberate, and I wasn't spring up for the next rep right away. Jumping pull ups were actually pretty tiring. KB swings I felt really strong, good stamina, could have actually done more (not that I wanted to:). Walking Lunge went by fast. K2E was where I got killed. At rep 25, I couldn't get my knees to my elbows any more. My entire core was aching. Kipping violently for me to get my K2E was justing zapping all my energy. I did 4 at  at time. Then 3 at a time. The last 10 were ugly, and were pretty much just knee raises- can we say MUSCLE FAILURE?!

Half of the WOD done and I'm starting to feel it. The Push press was difficult. I broke it up in sets of 5. After each set I would see stars, so I'd have to catch my bearings, and take big breaths. The last 2 sets of 5 I went to muscle failure on the 5 rep. My arms are pretty much jello right now. 

I was hoping the back extensions would be like a break, but I was wrong. I broke up the 50 is sets of 7, but I really wanted to do 10-- my ass and hammies would just start to burn every time. 
Getting to wall ball, I was starting to feel totally demoralize and completely sad that I had to do 50 reps. I did 3 at a time. It was sad. My legs would not fire at the bottom of the squat-- muscle failure again. 

Burpees- Fuck you! They were ugly. It was my arms that were not cooperating this time. It was like peeling my body off the ground every time. I got through it. Thank god. 

And then you know the rest of the story with the DUs. 

I collapsed on the floor, completely elated that I was finished. It went into the post WOD euphoria that I so love. Can I mention that I did the WOD COMPLETELY BY MYSELF!!!!! I really think that contributed to my awful time as well. Just me. All by my lonesome. All the coaches were having a meeting in the office and I was working out in the 1PM hour... no other peeps suffering with me, nor any one yelling at me to pick up the fuckin' ball or to get down on the ground.... No, "you can do it, Assassin!" So I definitely got in my own head with negative thoughts... it just happens, the voices turn on and you start to feel hopeless, and all these "I can'ts" start playing in a loop. That's why suffering in a group is way more manageable than not. And the encouraging words of a coach can shave seconds off your time- I really believe it!

2 eggs (2P)
8oz SFH Daily Balance Shake (3P)
1/2 apple

8oz SFH Post WOD shake with almond milk (sweetened)

I'll probably have a Lobster Cobb Salad again when I get to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment